• Welcome to the Indian Echo online newspage. October 25, 2012 at 12:00 am

• March 2, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Subscribe to The Indian Echo Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook

Summer Video Game Releases Heavy On Action

Destiny Richards, Staff Writer
May 17, 2012
Filed under Entertainment

This summer on a day when you’re not going swimming or on vacation, video gaming is always an option and according to IGN, there are a few hot action games coming out.

If players own a PS3 or Xbox 360 and are looking for a bittersweet game about a cheerleader slaying zombies, then look no further than Lollipop Chainsaw. In this hack and slash action game, Juliet Starling is a perky, blonde, high school cheerleader who assumes the role of a zombie hunter after an outbreak at her school. Soon after, her boyfriend, Nick ends up getting a zombie bite so she decapitates him and carries his severed, yet still living, head with her along the journey. The classmates turned enemy zombies that are roaming about are led by “a group of zombie rock and roll lords”, former high school students that were turned into intelligent zombies. The game centers on Juliet wielding her chainsaw and buzzing through hordes of zombies to finally get to the main bosses. At first the game seems really cheesy, what with the whole zombie fighting cheerleader theme sounding like a Buffy the Vampire slayer sort of thing, but after watching several trailers and behind the scenes videos, the game sounds pretty good. Aside from the potential cheesiness and strong mature themes, this might be a great choice for players looking to play a colorful yet dark game with a unique storyline.

Another game to get this summer is The Amazing Spider-Man, also releasing on PS3 and Xbox 360, as well as Nintendo DS, 3DS and the Wii. It’s releasing due to the upcoming film by the same name just like the previous Spider-Man titles. The main villains featured are Rhino, Iguana and Black Cat. The game is set after the film, and an Oscorp executive is assisted by Michael Morbius to access the research of Dr. Curt Connors, also known as Lizard, to create more cross-species experiments. They finally create a serum that will link both species, and test it on low-level thug Aleskei Sytsevich, who ultimately becomes the main villain Rhino. Meanwhile, Oscorp develops a large group of robots that turn against human kind. The robots invade New York with plans to conquer the world. It’s been a while since a Spider-Man game was released and they are usually pretty solid games; just imagine how enhanced this one will be. For those with a love for games based off of classic heroes, those who want to compare the game to the movie, or just love Spider-Man in general, this is one to try out.

This last game is a highly anticipated game from Square-Enix’s most popular series, Kingdom Hearts. Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance is the last game before the well anticipated main game Kingdom Hearts III that is said to release sometime after 2012. Dream Drop Distance is a game releasing on the Nintendo 3DS. In this game, Yen Sid is putting Sora and Riku through a Mark of Mastery exam due to Master Xehanort’s eventual return because of the previous defeat of Ansem. The exam will make them true key blade masters and prepare them for the battle ahead with the game’s main antagonist. In the exam, the two are sent to separate worlds, previously destroyed by the Heartless that have since been restored in a state of “deep sleep” that disconnects them from other worlds. These worlds are plagued by the game’s main enemies, the Dream Eaters which are creatures born from darkness that seek the sleeping worlds’ Keyholes. Sora and Riku are given the task to reawaken the sleeping worlds by unlocking the seven Keyholes they find in each. Then they return to the realm of light, recruiting benevolent “Spirit” Dream Eaters to guide them in battle against the malevolent “Nightmare” Dream Eaters. Only then will they be deemed Keyblade Masters. For die-hard Kingdom Hearts fans, this is not a game to be passed up. It’s said to be truly vital to the storyline as it will give a glimpse into what will be expected in the next main title. One problem that gamers will have is not owning a 3DS. The Kingdom Hearts games are often released on a variety of different consoles and it’s hard to keep up, so saving up for a 3DS is a good option. The game doesn’t come out until late in the summer so there is plenty of time to get the console, get the game and get playing.

Lollipop Chainsaw releases June 12, later that month The Amazing Spider-Man on the 26, and lastly the Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance  game releases July 31. Along with enjoying all the summer has to offer, these games will definitely offer avid video gamers something to do in the coming months.