• Welcome to the Indian Echo online newspage. October 25, 2012 at 12:00 am

• March 2, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Subscribe to The Indian Echo Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook

Mumba Balances Coaching, Teaching, Part-Time Job

Lashley Portillo, Staff Writer
May 15, 2012
Filed under Campus

When students enter his classroom doors they see him as the wrestling coach and a teacher. Soon, they find out that he also is a police officer part time at Mountain View College on the weekends.

“I’m giving back both ways, on the streets as a cop and in the classroom teaching,” teacher Yanci Mumba said.

Mumba, became a cop in 1998 for the Indiana Police Department and then later moved to the Dallas Police Department. 

“I’ve had cases that were stressful,” he said. “I’ve had to chase people, car chases, foot chases.”

In 2003, even though he didn’t plan on it, Mumba decided to become a teacher because he wanted to get involved teenagers.

“I always wanted to coach and I just felt that if I had the chance to teach Law Enforcement while still being a cop, I could bring that flavor to the classroom,” he said.  “Teaching was just something I felt I could make a better impact with. I could show kids that I’m not a critic cop.”

Mumba said that he is grateful his part-time job is low-key.

“I’ve never been in a life threatening position, nothing to where I was about to die,” he said.

All the knowledge that he has gained from his police experience has aided him in teaching students.

“A lot of teachers teach what they learned from a book and I’m bringing real life experiences to the classroom,” Mumba said.

Although he has had good and bad times as a cop, he doesn’t let that affect him in the classroom.

“I didn’t expect him to be a cop because he is real laid back,” senior Dominic Yang said. “I just can’t see him in a uniform being completely serious.”

Even though the classroom and the police department are two very different environments Mumba seems to have no problem adjusting to the two.

“I have no trouble with changing my attitude in between jobs because as a people-person, I can just adapt and I can turn on and off just like that,” he said.

Due to his two careers, he has been able to study different attitudes and personalities, as well as different ways to deal with people

“Both jobs have stress, but the thing is that I deal with people all the time,” Mumba said. “I’m a people person, that’s the thing about teaching and being a cop. You have to learn to deal with people and learn how to talk to them.”

Although his schedule is packed, he still makes time to coach wrestling and football.

“The two jobs do not interfere with his coaching,” Yang said. “He does a good job managing his time. He’s always there to give me advice and is a good role model for me.”

His background makes him a better coach, Yang said.

“Since he is a cop, he knows how to be serious and he knows what it takes to get to that level and accomplish something,” he said.

Mumba said he loves coaching.

“Being a coach is a leadership roll, and people won’t respect you if you come to them with a soft voice, so being a cop and a coach is almost the same thing because you have to have command, respect and attention,” he said.

He said that he enjoys both fields but feels as if he can help more in the classroom than on the streets.

Mumba said, “I like both because I get to help people but I think I’m needed more in the educational part because I can actually see a change.”